It was founded in 1547 by Cardinal Tiberio Crispo on the ruins of a fortress.
During the Napoleonic Era, the nuns were expelled from the convent and took refuge in Merenella, a small village close to Bastia.
They returned to the monastery in 1821, as they had been made to open a school for girls.
In 1861 the Municipality of Sigillo took possession of the monastery and the related assets. The nuns had to open an elementary school.
In 1901 the nuns rescued the convent thanks to a donation of Cav. Ubaldo Fantozzi and in 1915 the nursery was opened.
The monastery has been totally renovated after the terrible earthquake of 1997, which destroyed its old part.